Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Adventure: A typical week in June

We started off on Saturday with the Karibu festival which is a festival for tour operators in TZ. Lots of hotels and safari companies in tents. But… there were camel rides, dancing shows, and a KK security dog show. KK is the company that is like our private 911 if our house gets broken into. We push a panic button and they coming zooming in- I guess with dogs.

DSCN0604 DSCN0606

Sunday was a bday party for one of our friends. He is from Israel. Normal party with too much candy, games, trampoline, and yes even a donkey ride because Zack and Efrat had to outdo the other parents we tease them. On the drive to their house we see rows and rows of flowers being farmed. Birch asked for this red flower picture.

DSCN0624

Tues and Thurs are drives thru town to work. This is one of my favorite building signs. Traffic is always bad because you are fighting daladala buses, bikes, carts, people, safari trucks, giant buses and so on. Sometimes it is a 20 min ride to work and sometimes is is an hour.

DSCN0641 DSCN0642

This is the hospital I work at. Many people say it is a fancy hotel that is really just a hospital. It does look prettier than most African hospitals. It cost twice as much. 10,000 TSH to see me instead of 5000 Tsh. ( 8 dollars vrs 4 dollars). We have lots of equipment but sometimes lack soap, speculums, needles etc….. We have a lab but I can only check about 10 tests on a regular basis. I do have an ultrasound machine to use and a great tech, but the power surges break it a lot.

DSCN0646

my exam room delivery room

DSCN0645 DSCN0648

ultrasound room lab

DSCN0650 DSCN0651

Typical Joey style. On the way home form my volunteer day I am being honked at as I try to park for the butcher to get meat. The parking is left sided. I have a giant, tall car. This little, tiny, hidden car that is parked gets in my car’s way and I scratch it. Ughhhh

How do I handle this in TZ. A TZ person may just drive away fast, but I am mazungu and everyone is staring at me. So I write my number on a piece of paper and insert it on the windshield waiting to be swindled for all kinds of money when I get a call back. But a lovely person texts me later that day and says “sorry that my car accidentally touched his car today and that the estimate for repairs is 90000TSH ( 70$) would I be able to help pay this.” Amazingly kind hearted fellow that made me rethink my assumptions about TZ people maybe trying to always find a way to get more money, time, stuff from me. Shame on me for my initial expat thoughts.

DSCN0652

In the mornings me and some moms have swahili lessons with the secondary ISM swahili teacher.

3 comments:

Noah and Max said...

And $70 - you can't beat that. You know here it would have been yoru deductible $500 to replace the entire bumper. You should give him $100 b/c he just saved you $450 :) Love you - can't wait to see you!

Noah and Max said...

okay so my math sucks....but you get the point...don't you? LOL

Noah and Max said...

what are you "singing". I love that little baby in the background just hanging out.