Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Travel: Selous and Highlands
























We started our Oct vacation knowing that we would be driving a lot to see cool, remote places. We drove 9 hours day one- on tarmac at 100km/hour. Never stopped by police patrols once. This is amazing- they stop you every town to wonder if maybe …….. Anyway we make it to a great farm in Morogoro. Pool!!!! and good food.

Start the next day for Selous to see wild dogs!!! Birch did a research project on them in 2nd grade. But we know they weren’t denning so chances were low. 8 hour drive. Get to lodge. Kind of just a mediocre place. Pool!! but kind of green- I didn't swim. We did do a boat tour to get up close to crocs and hippos- but what made the kids the happiest was the ability to get off on a sand island for 10 min and jump and play. Go figure.




Selous the other side- still no wild dogs. We stay at Sable Mt Lodge- food good and pool!! So kids happy. Starting to see a trend… Tried to avoid siafu ants on the path and Birch got a hornet stuck in his yellow shirt ( mom why did you make me wear yellow- shirt) and 6 hornet stings!!! We survived. (To avoid contact with wasps, never work in the yard or garden wearing yellow or white, since these colors attract insects. Many insects cannot see red, making it a good color to wear when working in the yard. You should also minimize olfactory enticements such as perfumes, colognes, hair sprays, and other fragrances, and by all means, never walk barefoot. per PETA on web on how not to hurt insects.... barefoot and yellow I suck)




On to Vuma Hills and Mikumi park. 8 hours again. Still tarmac. Ok animals- really just staying to break up drive. Food ok but pool great!!! Pool quality now more important than animal quality. At dinner Cole tries to feed a bush baby popcorn and gets bit. Kind of half domesticated animal so no rabies. He tried not to cry in front of all the guests. David says “ how many kids can say they were bit by a bush baby.” Cole survives.




On to Mufindi Highlands. 8 hours with half and half dirt and tarmac. I think. Forgetting it all by now. Quick stop to fix the fan belt for air conditioner. No worries 1 hour later we are off. Arrive at one of the most beautiful settings. So peaceful. I kind of forget it is Africa until we visit the orphanage near by, We met great new friends from Dar. 3 female dogs just birthed 6 weeks prior so 17 puppies to play with. Birch and Cole did horseback riding, fishing, and croquet. I felt kind of British. Birch even drank tea.




Off to Dodoma 9 hours all dirt really. No other cars. No villages. Over hills. 25 mph because of bumps and dirt. No worries pool at end of day at kind of gross hotel we choose just to sleep at. Best in Dodoma though.




last day to Arusha – the road from hell I have heard horror stories about. I am armed with IPod videos and valium. Turns out the road the day before was worse. Psych and it worked. We made it back still married and in love.






Our car Lola made it the whole way. Only one oil leak and a fan belt needing repair on the way. the day before we left her shocks broke apart up front but within two hours they had fixed it and returned it to our house. Only in Africa can a fundi work that fast. No power, no internet sometimes but a fundi when you need him- always.






Selous gate- our kids being kids




oct 2011 011






Boat ride with crocs and hippos but highlight of day the sandy island. Our boat motorized- TZ boat low to the water and slow- scary with all the crocs.




oct 2011 046oct 2011 025oct 2011 045oct 2011 052oct 2011 061






Yes we saw animals- but …






oct 2011 074oct 2011 077oct 2011 005oct 2011 022




Mikumi gate. Pool at Vuma- best of day per Cole. Yes animals…..




oct 2011 082oct 2011 083oct 2011 093oct 2011 090oct 2011 089






Mufindi. A family picture- a rarity. Puppies. Birch being nice.






oct 2011 099oct 2011 095oct 2011 161oct 2011 168oct 2011 158oct 2011 102




Tea leave “ mazes” per the kids.






oct 2011 174oct 2011 179






Orphanage






oct 2011 157




Horse back riding.. Fishing and Birch catches a trout. Cole even sits weird when fishing.




oct 2011 105oct 2011 114oct 2011 140oct 2011 137oct 2011 122oct 2011 146oct 2011 147oct 2011 154






Long road trips mean picnics Africa style.




oct 2011 181






The pope keeping us safe on the road.






oct 2011 094






oct 2011 185



Colisms:




I am gaining altitoid. ( with Legos in the back seat)

Is there a pool there?




Ninataka pipi. ( I want candy) Nayamba pipi ( May I have candy? if he really wants it.)





Daddy sing that rap song again. “ Have you ever been at friends house where the food was just no good?”




Can I play IPod




I need to sit criss cross on your lap. ( I need to take a nap mom)




I will have a cheese omelet. ( eggs everyday on safari- eggs eggs eggs- yucko now)

1 comment:

Kate Hannigan said...

Can you bring one of those puppies home? Such great photos -- really amazing. And I think it's so cool to know someone who's been bitten by a bushbaby. Does that make you bushwhacked?